The first mention of 'Hederseeta' the 'deerfold' or as
it is known to-day Hethersett, appears in William the Conqueror's great
Domesday record of 1084.
The church is the oldest surviving building at the heart of the village,
there being a continuous record of the names of its rectors since 1260.
To represent the 900 years and more of its past the local millenium committee
chose to include images of the church, the village sign and the old communal